Monday, October 20, 2008

Tuesday Activities

Today was mostly a paperwork and rest day. We got a false alarm thinking we may could leave Kursk today, but there were no train rides. I'm glad because it would have been an improper goodbye to the orphanage that so blessed Daniel and Maria (Yuri and Masha as they've been called there). We got to take money out of their accounts (state gives such children money for them to receive when they leave, but traditionally adoptive parents donate it to the orphanage) to donate to the orphanage. We met them leaving work and they were boisterously happy that we shared such a large sum - advantage of adopting older children for them.

We have passports and their name spellings there do not resemble their American spellings in the least, but they assure us it will not be a problem......

Tomorrow is the big day where we take them from the orphanage for good. We'll let them take their naps, then about 4 we'll go for a party with their group where we bring plenty of goodies for their friends and caretakers, then we'll leave. At 10 PM we catch the train for the ride to Moscow overnight. Please pray that they sleep. They're so keyed up and excited about leaving that we're not sure how to act. We learned "Stop" and "Go" in English today with a game of chase - or freeze tag really. We're glad they know that now so they know the word, Stop! Moscow has so many people and we are afraid Daniel is too friendly and likes to wander off to meet the pretty girls.

I'd forgotten a funny story from yesterday with Maria. Babushka was in the bathroom and Maria came in for a visit. They have a fascination with water. Maria turned on the bedet and sprayed water everywhere. She turned it off and went on her way and Babushka saw her eyes glow with that "Eureka" look. She turned and opened her hair brush compact and commenced to scrubbing the bedet with it!!! Wonder where that hair brush is now? We can't turn off our guard for a second with their new explorations!

We love our hotel room - really an apartment. Its more expensive slightly, has limited hot water, and the elevator doesn't work. So, maybe it is surprising that we like it so much. We were laughing about that this afternoon and Grandma was disturbed that they'd not come to clean the room today. She said, I put out the sign. Well, I asked if she'd put out the right sign - they're in Russian you know! She went and looked and she'd put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign, so no wonder - we had a good laugh - and it has pictures that pretty much describe things. Momma said that "sign reading" should've been in preschool. Oh well, they cleaned it today!

We are blessed and are enjoy loving on these children. There are plenty that need homes and it is a loving orphanage that has plenty of children waiting for homes where they will be loved and cared for! Yesterday I shed a tear watching Daniel try to take a nap. I'd read about the rocking, but it didn't prepare me for what I saw. I wanted to grab him up and give him 5 years worth of rocking! I'm so thankful that the Lord blessed me with these two children who need a momma and lots of love! Can't wait to see how loved they'll feel in 1 month, 6 months, etc.

2 comments:

LIN said...

I am so glad to see pictures of you and the kids. They are beautiful and so are you. Congratulations!!!

markay714 said...

I have a feeling that he will be getting lots of love very soon. I know we are all so excited and can't wait to meet them.

Kayla