Sunday, January 11, 2009

As days go this was a good one....

Today was another good one. I love weekends and all of the time we get to spend together.

This morning we played for a couple of hours before church. Daniel snuck away from the toys and went and colored an armadillo. He's been doing that the last few days. And, it is amazing how much better he's doing at staying in the lines. I don't believe he'd really ever colored before coming home from the orphanage.

After church we attempted very unsuccessfully to take a nap because Momma had been dying about to fall asleep in church. Oh well, Momma will adjust one of these days.

We went bicycle riding and then went to a neighborhood park for the most adventure of the day. I'd spotted this park on the way to church and thought we'd check it out. It was great but I've never seen people there. They have the best slide we've seen and Daniel and Maria were overwhelming with their "Thank you , Momma's" when we drove up. We had been playing about 10 minutes when I heard what sounded like gunfire. Decent neighborhood here so I'm thinking car backfiring. After about 3-4 shots I decided it wasn't a car backfiring. Then, I heard a very loud "Go home". At that point, I'm "Daniel, Maria, let's go". And, I don't think the'd heard the shots, but they came right along when they heard the urgency in my voice. This was NOT something I expected to have to deal with. I called 911 and will have to give y'all the verdict later. I'm not sure if it was someone shooting to try to get an animal to go away or just a neighbor that doesn't like visitors to the park. Either way, we'll be missing this park, but I naturally must know what happened. I was so pleased with how fast they responded. When we got back to the car they did say that they didn't want to go home, but they were just normal children responding appropriately - and they've only been home 2 1/2 months! They're amazing me! Their English is coming right along.

Momma is tired of fixing supper and having Daniel eat none of it. Tonight I decided to try tomato soup since Daniel loves ketsup so much. Daniel loved it. And, when I ran out of crackers to put in it, he was perfectly content to have goldfish swimming in his soup.

Here's a little story that I have to record so I don't forget for Maria. Y'all be sure and don't tell her or pick at her about it, but Momma did have to laugh. For the last few weeks, they've both been "Baby Jesus" all over the place. Maria's been saying "babies" a lot, too. It seemed weird because she was never holding a doll when she said it. I thought she wanted to be the doll and I know I've even picked up and held my baby when she did. Tonight getting them ready for bed she pointed to her "babies". She's got a pair of them on her chest - and she pointed to mine as well. I had to laugh at how many misunderstandings I had on that one!

3 comments:

Pegsy said...

Babies...that's sooo funny! Ha ha ha ha!

That's crazy about the gun shots at the park! I would have freaked out so bad! Did you ever find out what the deal was? That's great that Daniel and Maria obeyed without question - sounds like you're doing a wonderful job.

Pegsy said...

Oh, forgot...my kids love tomato soup too. What I do is make tomato soup and also boil some whole wheat noodles (elbow macaroni works best) in a separate pot. Then, I fill a bowl with the pasta and pour the soup over top. My kids BEG for this meal on a regular basis!

markay714 said...

I won't be able to get the gunshot report until Wednesday. I'm going to be following up for sure!

I'm going to definitely check out the pasta in the tomato soup.