Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pleasant Surprises

I've just been savoring the trip and counting the blessings. There have been many and I've already listed lots of them, but since I thought of a few more things that were different than I'd expected, thought I'd share a few more:

1) They've got great teeth and they obviously brush them often. I'd heard that children in orphanages never brush their teeth, so I was expecting huge dental bills. Sure won't be disappointed to have to put them through that early on - maybe we can wait until they know a bit more English!

2) Always heard that they don't take baths and they're afraid of water. Not this orphanage. I'm sort of thinking that its a pretty good sign when you get to see your child swim - thinking that won't be a problem. Since I've got a pool, that's an extra special blessing. I'm definitely working on keeping them out of the immediate pool area with a extra door/gate and early swimming lessons (immediately!), but I was so happy to know that it won't be a big issue!

3) When M went and told orphanage workers "I am beautiful" when we put on her new dress, it definitely told me what she's hearing from her caretakers. It was obvious in more ways than this that D & M are loved and cared for excellently, but it was definitely a confirmation to me that they've done some things right when she's so proud of something new.

4) I was afraid that they'd be cooped up inside all of the time because their climate is so cold. Was I ever wrong! I'm starting to be concerned that my subdivision yard is going to be confining - and its pretty big! I'm thinking these children will love being on our family's farm to get to run and play like their orphanage yard. I'm sure Grandma and PawPaw won't mind that! I can picture D and M riding around seeing the baby calves, picking dewberries, and other fun stuff like that.

5) I've heard that siblings may not even be in the same orphanage and hardly know each other. My children have been living as siblings for a couple of years at least - and you can sure tell it. They were mighty quick to call the other's name when one of them found something good to eat or play with in Momma's backpack of goodies each day. And, D was always keeping his eye out for his little sister, M, wherever we were. When Elena noticed it one day and said something about what a good brother he was to watch out for her - of course, he said he wasn't - that he was looking at the tires on the van, but it was obvious that that wasn't true. Isn't that just typical of a brother though?!?!

All in all, most of my thoughts from my reading these last months were that this is one great orphanage. Its not a family, but these children have been cared for and loved as much as is possible in a group environment. I KNOW that will make a difference in their adustment to home - a good difference.

Sure wish I knew when the end was on counting days! They say September, but I'd sure love it to be sooner.

3 comments:

Carson's Mom said...

We would love for it to be sooner too. I can't wait to meet them.

Kayla

liesel said...

What a blessing to know your children have been so well cared for all these years.

kristynewb said...

Markay,
Thank you for inviting me to your blog. It is so great to hear how well your children have been taken care of! What a blessing!! I hope that you get to bring them home really soon!