For those that might be heading to Russia, here's a few tips:
1) Phone cards are readily available for use in the region. We can't use the same card in Russia that we did in the region, but both are about $0.10/minute to call the states, so we can actually call plenty to give the fun details. The cards are in Russia, so while Elena has been invaluable for me, I'd advise getting your translator to help you make the first call listening to the instructions and telling you when to do the next number - after that you won't need help and can do it by recognizing the voices.
2) There are plenty of exchange places all over for money, so don't worry too much about that. The rates are not tremendously different, but it is worth noting the differences. My largest amount was changed on the street by some guys that just walked up to the car that my facilitator knew about.
3) You won't have to starve to death. No, Kayla, I've not tried Borsch or however you spell it, but Elena has eaten it a lot (along with a beat and mayonaise salad and the like - resisted the urge there, too, as well). But, I've tried some Russian foods - one dish very much like jambalaya with pork, rice, and vegetables I ate several times in region (oh - the bread's been great everywhere). I had a beef and potatoes with some weird sauce (not mayo) one evening. And, today I ordered some sort of Russian pork and potato dish that probably had a lot of sour cream in it, but it was great. I've gotten somewhat adventurous (for me anyway).
1 comment:
I am very sad that you haven't tried the borsht. I will have to talk to Elena and get her to encourage that. I might just have to make it for your kids when they get home. What kinds of foods besides rasberries have they been eating?
Kayla
Post a Comment