Definitely was reminded once again just how quick you have to be to keep up with Daniel and Maria. Both Daniel and Maria both thought that cooking oil was apple juice when they saw it in the grocery store. Obviously, they didn't understand when I told them that it wasn't juice. Aunt Gay Lynn called today saying that she'd made us macaroni and cheese for supper and she'd have it for us if we stopped on our way home (yes, huge blessing - and I figured just what the doctor ordered for my son who is not eating much of anything and who Momma thinks is looking very thin).
Anyway, Aunt Gay Lynn and I turned our heads in the kitchen in the midst of her all day long preparations for multiple Thanksgiving feasts. We got whiplash turning back when we heard a resound "Yuck" or the Russian equivalent. Mr. Fast had taken the lid off of the oil and drank a big gulp while we weren't looking - obviously thinking we were holding out on the good stuff. I'd have loved to have a picture of that face!
I'm not sure what is going one with Daniel and Maria. They're both getting to be pickier eaters (didn't start out that way at all!), but Daniel is really not eating much of anything. Hie repertoire is chocolate milk, yogurt drinks, apple, and banana. I got him to list off his favorite foods since he came to America and that was the entire list. He even drank some eggnog yesterday and said that it was good and never drank another sip. And, to show his true lack of taste, he did not eat Aunt Gay Lynn's macaroni and cheese which I can assure you was perfectly delicious and even worthy of seconds for a skinny little guy.
This new mom would definitely appreciate any wisdom on getting him to eat. Do I just serve what he should and has eaten and he eats it or not? Do I try to have plenty of apples and bananas and yogurt to supplement the meal he won't eat? I'm not sure and would appreciate your wisdom.
4 comments:
As a mom of a 4 year old - - - there are weeks when I am sure that he runs on solar power. How does he survive on the meager amounts of food he takes in???
I sneak calories in where I can - dip that apple or banana in a yogurt/cream cheese dip - substitute instant breakfast for chocolate milk - a few that come to mind right now.
First u are doing great!!! as far as food......just make only healthy "snacks" available...if he is hungry he WILL EAT.... and as long as there is no excessive thirst or sleepiness you are good...one of our kiddos had survived on sugar before adoption...so when the healthy life came along his body retaliated with hypoglocemia...which was controlled with small meals every 2 hours for a couple of years and then he leveled out! prayin continuously darcie
Markay! Thanks for giving me the link to your blog. I've saved it as a favorite. I'm so glad that this all worked out--seems to have turned out as beautiful as you had hoped. Praise God for sure. I'll definitely be checking back in again!
I also have a picky, light eater. I often wonder where he gets ALL his energy from, because often its not from food! For now I would give him what he likes as often as he wants it. I'd make sure I used whole milk and regular yogurt, not lowfat. Dylan loves Ovaltine and will drink several glasses a day. Mix good cereal into the yogurt. Anyway, he'll be fine and seems to be developing into a very normal, picky little boy like the rest of american boys :o)
Post a Comment