Thursday, December 4, 2008

When does the sleeping line out?

It is 3:00 AM and starting at midnight, Daniel and Maria both have been up and sent separately and jointly back to their beds. At 2:30 when I sent them both back to their beds I rolled over and went back to sleep - waking up a few minutes ago when I heard a clicking sound......not sure which toy it was, but all of their lights were on in their bedroom and playroom and Maria was heading down the hall with her baby carriage. This mom is ready for them to sleep!

4 comments:

Shelley said...

ok, so I will admit I have no experience in this department because my boys slept great from day one at home. But, my first thought when I read this post was that maybe they are testing the limits. I don't know what the orphanage was like in Russia, but in Ukraine and Serbia, things were strict...even the sleeping routine. The kids were never allowed out of bed for any reason until they were told. When they woke up, they stayed in bed until they were told to get out of bed. One parent who adopted from a different orphanage in Ukraine told me that the kids were even all made to sleep on their right side. That was the rule. To this day....7 months later....Grifyn will not get out of the bed until he's directly told to. He'd sit/lay there all day if we let him. (and he was even made to sleep with the covers completely covering his face...we've finally got him to just tuck them in tight under his chin and keep his head uncovered!)
So, maybe the getting up in the middle of the night and going to the toys is a test....testing their limits? Maybe you need to adjust the bed time/get out of bed routine a little until they get used to sleeping all night?
I honestly have no idea, but maybe part of what you're seeing is a result of the new found freedom to move about as they please?????

Robbie said...

What time is their bedtime? If they are going to bed early maybe you can adjust back an hour or so. I always pushed for early bedtimes, but I settled on 9 p.m. when they started participating in activities at church and school. That worked well. I can't imagine having enough energy to play at 2:30 a.m.! Maybe they are just enjoying their new lives so much that they don't want to sleep them away! They certainly seem happy!

markay714 said...

I've been putting them to bed at 8 and they're usually sound asleep by 8:15. I've always been an early riser, but I never knew I was such a light sleeper that couldn't go back to sleep. I'm thinking this Momma is the one that needs to adjust on this. I'm sure we'll find a happy medium somewhere!

I'm very glad they wake up early and I'm not trying to barely make it in time for work. I go in nearly an hour early for work every day - avoiding the most horrific traffic times. Thre are definitely silver linings to this.

Carson's Mom said...

I can attest to the fact that going to bed later is NOT the answer.:) They still wake up VERY early. I do think that you can teach them not to come out of the room by making sure that each time they come out you take them back in there.

Kayla