Today was a full day - full of adventures and misadventures. We started out at the grocery store buying birthday flowers for a friend and realizing that Momma isn't quite used to too much activity with Daniel and Maria - her debit card was most likely left at Outback last night. So, off to the bank before delivering the flowers, on to visit our friend with flowers and off to the zoo....a little later than we'd anticipated.
They enjoyed the zoo - and Daniel's definitely got his spelling down on zoo - zee oh oh....repeated that a few dozen times while we were walking in and looking at the sign. Once we got in they were pretty much running from exhibit to exhibit trying to capture it all - not sure they realized that such a thing as a zoo existed. We saw the giraffes, otters, elephants, aligators and lots of other things I don't remember. We left a bit earlier than we wanted because we had some life lessons we needed to learn, but it was a beautiful day and one they enjoyed. Hopefully we won't have to cut things short on the next visit.....sort of think it did hurt me more than it hurt them.....but amazing how much slower you walk on the way out and than on the way in!
We had a visit from our friend, Mrs. Kristi this afternoon while we were having lunch, attempted naps, and started practicing for spring/summer by the pool. We grilled hamburger steaks by the pool and ate them out there. Daniel and Maria did great at staying out of the pool but you could tell they enjoyed sitting out there - even kept saying "home".
Tonight we're cutting out transportation flashcards. Daniel loves to cut and Maria likes delivering the finished product to Momma. We're working on counting wheels, looking at colors - and Momma is amazed at how far they've come.
I'm not sure what to do with my Daniel. He's getting pretty good at precluding poor behavior - if he thinks he's getting upset and about to get in trouble, he runs to the kitchen, sits down in the proper spot and says "Daniel Time Out". His teacher told me he'd done it at school one day last week. He's done it no less than 10 times today. At first I laughed to myself and then I started scratching my head in amazement. I wish I could take credit for it, but I have no idea where that came from - no way it came from Russia for sure - don't think they had the time out concept! I'm sure his preschool would like to take credit for it too and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't think they were that good either. It is not a bad idea of course though. I'm sort of thinking that is what he's figured out to be able to please his mom....his teachers. He wants to please and most of the time you can tell he's really trying to do that. I've been reading Proverbs of late and he is seeming awfully wise for a 5 year old right now.
I love Daniel and Maria and I love having more relaxed time to spend with them!
1 comment:
Zoo trips are such fun, eh?! Now you made me curious - what sort of life lessons did you need to learn?
Post a Comment