Thursday, June 19, 2008

Traveling Companion

It is official! Elena, my cousin's wife who is a Ukraine native will be going with me on this first trip. What a blessing. She's a native Russian speaker and has been to Moscow enough to even know there's a big 4 story mall next to the hotel (sounds like she'll know her way around!). It is going to be so fun to have someone to share the journey. The adoption agency will provide a translator for my time in the orphanage with the children and other official parts of the visit, but it will be nice for the "after hours" times to really get to fully enjoy the time as a tourist and to get to learn lots more about my children's homeland. I'm guessing we'll see and do a lot of stuff that we wouldn't have if I'd gone alone.

And, I hope she gets to see some family and friends along the way. That'd be great if that works out! God is so good to allow the timing to be such that she can go!

She lives in Texas and we'll meet up before the long plane ride. Hopefully on the plane ride she can write in the two photo books I plan to leave the children showing the children their new home and families. If they have Russian descriptions, their caretakers can tell them what and who the pictures are. This will definitely be a fun distraction for the first part of the trip!

3 comments:

Carson's Mom said...

I am sooo very glad that you have a companion- you will have a great time. I of course will be needing frequent updates so I can know what is going on at all times. Don't tell the girls that you will be near a mall or they will give you their requests.:)

Kayla

Shelley said...

oooohhhh, that will work to your advantage. Now you will know exactly what is being said between everyone and you even have someone who can read the Russian version of the kids' files. I always wondered about translators and if they were telling us every single detail.
And, it'll be great for sight seeing too! Sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun!

Bethany said...

That is so exciting! I wish I could have someone that speaks Russian come with me!