Saturday, June 7, 2008

Planning to enjoy this journey

Wanted to be able to start journaling a great new adventure - adopting two children from Russia. The title of the blog - Enjoying the Journey - is really what I've decided to do this week - in gratefulness for seeing just who is in control of this entire process. God is clearly in control and is working this out, so there's just no reason to worry about the blips in the road. I KNOW it is going to work out.

To see how clearly God has directed this journey here's a little background. Memorial Day weekend, the agency told me it'd be 6-8 months before I had a referral - a referral for two boys almost certainly (girls just aren't available without a 1-2 year wait and I've been waiting 1 since my dossier was complete). I've continuously prayed that God would allow it to happen when I'd saved all of the money I needed to do this. The Wednesday after Memorial Day, I got an unexpected letter in the mail asking if I wanted about 1/3 of the cost of the adoption now - that I was supposed to get in 2011 and thinking it wouldn't be worth much of anything then. I was awed at THAT moment. So, on the next Sunday when I got the call coming out of church that I had a referral, I was not even surprised - grateful, but not surprised. I pretty much knew those were my children before I saw their pictures or read anything about their backgrounds - knew this had God's hand all over it - a boy and a girl! At that point, I realized, this is going to be fun to see God work to get these beautiful children to their new home.

In Russia, until a court says you're the parent, you're not the parent. So, in this blog, until the appropriate time, I'm not supposed to put their pictures, Russian names, ages, or even the region where they are. So, I plan to abide by the rules. I'm going to keep the blog private so I can share my heart with friends and family with an eye for safety. Some day I'd like to print it out to share with my children as a book - their journey to their new home in America.

So, the journey is well on its way now. Looks like I'll be leaving to meet these two special children within a couple of weeks and if things follow their normal course in this anonymous region, they could be home in 3-4 months.

5 comments:

Carson's Mom said...

Well, I will certainly be the excited aunt following along. I can't wait for you to get them home. Oh my goodness- can you imagine the noise with 2 extra squeals at Christmas this year.

Kayla

Shelley said...

Congratulations Markay! I'm looking forward to following your journey and wish you the very best as you start your journey as a mom of 2!

Robbie said...

This is so wonderful and so incredible! You are going to be a great mother, Markay, and these children are going to bring great joy to your life. God is truly a great God, and yes, He is in control of these circumstances!

liesel said...

I can't wait. Thanks for sharing your blog.

Bethany said...

Yay! I'm so happy that you got your referral and I can't wait to follow along since I'll be there shortly after you! :)