When I got the regional documents (more documents to the already extensive list of dossier documents) they let me know I'd have to do the dreaded 8 doctor medical visit on my first trip to Russia. Yes, I am the queen of modesty and was openly hoping that my children would be in a region that did not have to go through that torture. Yes. I'm laughing....shoulda KNOWN that wouldn't happen. Those in the process of adopting from Russia know all about it, but for my family and friends who are uninitated into the torture that they put prospective adoptive parents through, they make you go to 1950's style clinic in Moscow complete with the Nurse Ratchet uniforms and hats. Then, you get to see 4 doctors at one time who look, ask questions, at once, and then get to have four more doctors do the same thing. For couples, they take both of the couple at the same time. Their medical specialties are different than ours, but I think these are basically the general idea of the specialists you see - dermatologist, pyschiatrist, pulmonologist, surgeon, infectious disease, neurologist, oncologist, and a doctor who treats drug and alchohol issues. You hear all sorts of stories, but I hope most are complete fabrications and that they really just make you sign something saying you'll tell all sorts of tall tale about this in order to keep the number of Americans in Russia for the purpose of adoption at a tolerable level. The good thing is that I get to meet my children first. I do this the day before I return to the US.
And, the other cause for laughter on Friday from the regional requirements was trying to figure out what Psychiatrist to see in Baton Rouge. I have to have a notarized letter from a psychiatrist saying that I'm mentally suitable to be a parent (thought that was what the home study was far, but guess not good enough). And, also have to get notarized copies of their medical license and diploma showing their psychiatric credentials. Started with someone recommended by a trusted physician friend - that lady was on vacation, but her office said they didn't know that she'd ever written such a letter. Since I'll be out of pocket this week and perhaps in Russia the next, I started trying to work on Plan B. I tried a few the social worker suggested - their receptionists said they wouldn't do it. Concern started setting in, so I got out the yellow pages and started trying to find a solution there. One suggested he'd write the letter if I took this 600 question test used to diagnose mental illness and if it said I was normal then they'd write the letter. Otherwise he wouldn't write the letter, but my insurance would at least pay for it since I'd have a diagnosis (think I'll pass). I did ask how many people were normal and the receptionist said SOME (with heavy emphasis on SOME) people are normal - sounded like not many to me. If you think about it, how normal is it to be led to go and adopt two children from Russia at 44 when you've never even had a passport before? So, still working on this one, but I have a little while to get it done. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have! I'd love to go visit with them however many "sessions' they need, but can't imagine I'd ever be interested in taking that test.
Can you imagine what would happen to the earth's population if couples had to go through the adoption checklist to have children? Human's would be on the endangered species list! It will be worth it though I know. As I picture this Sunday afternoon next year, I can see us out swimming and enjoying this hot, lazy afternoon. It will be great!
1 comment:
I'm cracking up here picturing you standing nude in front of all these doctors as they look you up and down. LOL. I guess I don't think you will be nude, but it was a funny thought. I haven't read up on this yet, but I think I better!
Post a Comment