Thursday, April 2, 2009

Enjoying it as it comes

This afternoon about 1:30 I got a call saying that the power was out at Daniel and Maria's school and it was almost time for nap time to be over. They were going to close the school in a little while. So, at 2:40 their school day ended and we had all kinds of extra time to enjoy. First we went by and played with Reagan at Aunt Gay Lynn's and retrieved all of her garbage cans from down the drive and down the street (it was a powerful storm that lasted almost no time!).

Then I surprised them with ice cream cones at Sonic. We got out and sat at a table and we had a great time. The whole time they had their ice cream cones they didn't know anyone else was around. They loved every lick. Ice cream is definitely their favorite and it is way more special if it is in a cone. Maria eats every bit but Daniel won't eat the cone. We sang stores about the ice cream cones - making up at least 20 verses about how Daniel and Maria felt about their ice cream. I saw a few people come and go and I'm quite certain they should pay us to come every day and get ice cream at Sonic. Everyone that drove up seemed to really enjoy watching them as they waited for their orders.

After they finished their cones we had quite a learning experience. The lady from Sonic came to visit and Daniel was up being a boy - looking at all of the cars - and especially the trucks. A lady with a wrecked front came up within 5' of where we were sitting. Daniel loves to touch everything that interests him when he sees it - and we've been waiting for the perfect opportunity for him to learn that we keep our hands to ourselves. He started out saying "Momma it is broken" and pointed. Momma started getting a little nervous at that point. He got up and studied the car's bobo a little closer saying "Momma, its broken" with a very concerned look on his face. About that time the lady in the car yelled at him to get away from her car. She looked like the crazy one, but I think we learned a very valuable lesson that Momma's been trying to teach them. I think we'll be looking from a distance from now on.

Now, we're home and playing hard outside. I'm typing this post from the back patio and enjoying watching them at least as much fun as the ice cream spectators did watching them play. We've had a pretty steady variety of vehicles that we were driving (bicycles turned big truck, school bus, and little truck). Maria's got the sidewalk chalk painting our carport floor yellow. Daniel's now got his rubber boots on with his sword "making snow" - wiping out the rest of Momma's bridal wreath blooms for this year. He marches like a good soldier. Have I said lately how much I'm enjoying the longer days of late? Well, this one was extra long and extra fun - we've still got two hours of daylight left.

Tonight we're going to have a picnic outside of the Hurricane Gustave emergency meals. Daniel's excited because we're going to have soldier meals! We're definitely going to eat them outside without the benefit of electricity! This is fun!

No comments: